[ale] re: spam on the ale list

Randy Carpenter randy at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 27 09:59:16 EDT 2000

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Wandered Inn wrote:

> jiin wrote:
>>
>> At 08:44 PM 10/26/00 -0400, you wrote:
>>>ENOUGH!
>>>
>>>jeezzuz
>>>
>>>i get swamped by this kind of aggravation at work, i
>>>certainly don't want to get subjected to it at home....
>>>Golf! shudder, shudder, twitch, twitch
>>>What does golf have to do with my Slackware box?
>>>
>>>unsubscribing as soon as this is sent...
>>>
>>>Thanks for all the interesting LINUX information....
>>>
>>>rhia
>>
>> To be honest, that is the first ad I have ever seen on this list.
>
> I get a lot of it, from various lists.  It's a pain, and everyone's got
> to decide if it's worth it.  I'd say, the value of the ALE list is
> greater than the pain of the spam received via the list.
>

>> jiin
>>
>> --

> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
>
> "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds.
> The
> latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to
> hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
> intelligence."
> - Albert Einstein

This has probably already been discussed but one could configure the ALE
majordomo server to only allow postings from members of the ALE list.  It
eliminates spam but walls out legitimate outside postings.

Randy
Randy Carpenter                             http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~randy
Georgia Institute of Technology                         randy at cc.gatech.edu
College of Computing                                         (404) 894-9046
Computing and Networking Services Group        http://www.cc.gatech.edu/cns