[ale] linuxgruven.com

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Tue Oct 24 20:56:04 EDT 2000

And I was in my early 40's when I 're-tooled', because an entire industry
under me went 'bust'. I went back to college in west Texas, and picked up
another degree, this time in CIS. (I was formerly a US domestic petroleum
exploration geologist). I worked at the college in the interim at meager
part-time hourly, they were putting in a new LAN, thus I was able to pick up
all the networking and desktop support I could, including some AIX, Slack
Linux, Novell, NT (3.51) the whole bit. And I got a lot, colleges are great
for that kind of thing. Two years later with 2nd degree in hand, I packed up
the family and moved back up north, and took a job at a contract house in
S.E. Michigan, and was assigned to an HMO to assist in a four month term
Win95 corporate rollout. I was asked to stay on after to do desktop and
other misc support because of my broad background. Two years later, I
applied for an opening in the Unix shop at the same HMO, and got it, in part
because I knew some Linux and AIX and even NT (and, yes, lots of corporate
people by then, too), and have been doing Solaris admin for over a year
there now. My *nix knowledge has of course increased because of it.

The point to the longwinded stuff above: Don't sweat your age, you're not
that old. A bit of sacrafice, a lot of drive, and a willingness to learn
anything and everything, still go a long way.

And DO run like like hell screaming from that other 'position'. Things are
just too good in IS/IT right now, there is still a shortage of trained and
even green personnal, and I'm sure you 'have what it takes' to do just fine.

Good luck!
Frank Z.

BTW, I saw the site. Seems legit on the surface, but after your story and
the words of others, it does ring hollow, like they are indeed just 'cashing
in'. If they fail to deliver to a client, and you are part of that deal, it
not only could put a real bad taste for Linux into their mouth (hurting us
all), it might hurt your own rep too. Some pissed off clients whom have been
bilked have very long memories, and it's a very small world.

Mall. I