[ale] RedHat 7.0

John M Trostel jtrostel at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 20 04:45:10 EDT 2000

---Reply to mail from Jeff Hubbs about [ale] RedHat 7.0

Disclaimer: I don't have RH 7.0 and I don't think I'll get RH 7.0

But.... RH does included in the distro a compiler which will compile the
kernel source.  They have (re)named it kgcc (I think) - to indicated
k(ernel)gcc.  They also bundled an experimental gcc as the main(?) gcc
invoked by a simple gcc call.  I quess they figure if you are going to be
recompiling the kernel, you should be aware enough to read the release
notes and to make calls to the appropriate compiler.

Neither of the compilers they shipped is broken.  The simple
implementation of the compiler in rerolling your kernel is broken though.
>From the flack I have been reading about, that may have been a bad move by
them.

>> On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 03:10:50AM -0400, Eric Z. Ayers wrote:
>> > You can compile a kernel with RH 7.0, but you have to use an older
>> > version of gcc. Look for something like: kgcc or kcc or read the RH
>> > 7.0 release notes.
>
> I'm kind of pushing away from the whole Red Hat strand because of things
> like this.  Any Linux distro ought to have everything - and I mean
> EVERYTHING - required to compile all the source code.  I mean, this is such
> a basic part of working with Linux; how can someone just ship a distro with
> something like this broken??  I know a Linux distro is a very complex thing,
> but doesn't anyone at Red Hat actually take a preproduction CD and do basic
> stuff like recompile the supplied kernel from the supplied source?
>
> I'm no huge fan of Mandrake, but I hate to think that part of Mandrake's
> role is to put out a more QAed version of Red Hat.

---End reply
--
John M. Trostel
Linux OS Engineer