[ale] 2.4 Masq script?

Stephen Pellicer spellicer at 8thlayer.net
Mon Oct 16 21:44:01 EDT 2000

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 07:17:11PM -0600, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> I put this in place and I can see the rules atleast.  For somereason
> I can't use netscape though.

Actually, I didn't know you were gonna put it straight on! :) Some
things that might be causing you problems:

I'm using a caching name server on my router. You might want to check
if it's just a name server problem. Can you ping by name through the
firewall? I'm using a proxy for my web traffic (squid) can you do
other services like telnet. Also, what iptables modules do you have
loaded? (/sbin/lsmod | grep ipt).

My setup is kinda unique, but I can't see it being too hard to adapt.
What is your actual setup (where is the firewall in relation to your
box and relation to the internet, what _can_ you do through the
firewall right now?)

One big problem might be that you don't have the "state" module
loaded. That's what I depend on for my return traffic. Send me a list
of your modules that are loaded prefixed by 'ipt'. That can give some
insight as to what is wrong.

Stephen