[ale] info

Joe Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 17 07:27:59 EDT 2000

Hi folks,

Just out of curiosity, is "info" properly installed on
-anyone's- system? Many GNU manpages contain a helpful
note similar to:

"Complete documentation for whizbang is available only in
Texinfo format. [At this point my teeth grind.] If the
whizbang command and info are both installed properly, then
the command

info whizbang

will let you view the info page for whizbang."

On every Linux system I've ever used (which basically means
various releases of Slackware and Red Hat 5.2), after a fresh
install, the command "info <any command you care to name>"
only brings up the info view of the same man page containing the
helpful note, and the info documentation (eg "info info")
is not very helpful when trying to correct this problem...

So am I missing the magic invisible "Install info so it
actually works" option, or does everyone have the same
problem?

Thanks,

-- Joe

*** Joseph Knapka ***