[ale] deb and rpm

Stephen Pellicer spellicer at 8thlayer.net
Mon Oct 16 08:26:25 EDT 2000

I do not want some sort of holy war to break out over this. I do not
want people convincing me of which of these to use. I only want some
_objective_ differences in the package formats. Looking over them they
seem very familiar and I am not quite as familiar with deb so I wanted
to know how it differs from rpm. I will promptly ignore any comments
that state how one feature is better in one implementation than
another. I also don't want to hear how I should just build everything
from tarballs and install from there. I just want some information and
every time I try to talk to someone about something like this, it ends
up being a zealous rant on which way of distributing software is
better. I just would like an implementation comparison.

Stephen

PS sorry for the cautious tone in the e-mail but it has been my
experience that this is a touchy subject.