[ale] Various Rambling Linux Thoughts/Difficulties

Stephen Pellicer spellicer at 8thlayer.net
Tue Oct 10 06:09:21 EDT 2000

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 08:40:22PM -0700, Fulton Green wrote:
> If I had to place a bet, I'd say that 7.1 would be coming out in January,
> complete with an *optional* 2.4.X production kernel. Since the X at that
> point will definitely be < 4, you might be better off waiting for 7.2, which
> will probably have a relatively stable 2.4 kernel, integrated devfs support,
> and maybe even version 3 of GCC. Not to mention the integration of Eazel's
> Nautilus, and more robust office apps, for GNOME, as well as a version of
> XFree 4.X.Y with tons of fixes to the bugs/"features" that currently exist
> in 4.0.1.

Normally, I'd agree with some of the above, but if the vibe I get from
redhat and Bob Young's speech at Interop, I'd have to disagree with
some of the above. While I think some of the timeline for the above
are correct, redhat sounds like they want to move to a
"distributionless" distro. Where they will be upgraded in realtime
using the RedHat Network.

I do have to say, my installation is running quite well on 7.0. My
only real problems stem from my CD not having all the packages. In
fact, from the preview pieces I downloaded from the website (these
would have been on the other CD), it upgraded my kernel and to devfs
complete with devfsd, _without_a_hitch_. Now compared to my own
experiences selft upgrading to the 2.4.0-testx series and devfsd while
I was running 6.2 it was completely painless. I'm running the same
things I was running on 6.2, but I'd still recommend upgrading after
most of the errata gets shaken out of 7. I recommend it mainly to get
ready for the redhat update approach that 7.0 seems to be beginning.

My main advice is don't upgrade or install 7.0 from the
Networld+Interop CD's!

Stephen