[ale] Various Rambling Linux Thoughts/Difficulties

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Oct 9 23:52:07 EDT 2000

I may be adding a "Me Too!" chime, but unless I was being pushed by
something, I'd wait. And keep up with the errata for 6.2.

FWIW - I just linked /etc/X11/X with the server binary from 6.2, and
things run sweet. (ie. changed from XFree86-SVGA-3.3.6-33<whatever>rpm to
the XFree86-SVGA-3.3.6-20 version) Could this more or less be a compiler
problem on RH's part? <sigh> One irritation more addressed without
elegance; on to hunt more tomorrow...

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Fulton Green wrote:

> If I had to place a bet, I'd say that 7.1 would be coming out in January,
> complete with an *optional* 2.4.X production kernel. Since the X at that
> point will definitely be < 4, you might be better off waiting for 7.2, which
> will probably have a relatively stable 2.4 kernel, integrated devfs support,
> and maybe even version 3 of GCC. Not to mention the integration of Eazel's
> Nautilus, and more robust office apps, for GNOME, as well as a version of
> XFree 4.X.Y with tons of fixes to the bugs/"features" that currently exist
> in 4.0.1.
>
> And by the way, I'm not a Red Hat employee; I just play one on TV.
>
> As far as doing a "fresh install", though (assuming you're going to start
> from freshly formatted ext2 partitions), most likely the only problem you'll
> encounter will be in configuring XFree, and if your graphics card uses a
> relatively popular chipset, you should be alright. I'd heavily recommend
> waiting at least one or two revs before using RH7 for corporate-level
> services, though.
>
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 10:28:10PM -0400, Frank Zamenski wrote:
> > Thanks for sharing the experiences. I considered doing a fresh 7.0 install,
> > but I'm
> > getting the feeling that RH 7.0 is for the adventerous. My free time is at a
> > premium,
> > and I rather like the 'settled feel' of 6.2. Should I take the 'don't
> > upgrade until
> > necessary' path, and wait for 7.1? I'm not the type that enjoys fixing
> > 'things that
> > once worked good but got broke bad' by pgm nor OS upgrades (with any OS,
> > for that matter).  ;-)

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca
Thompson Freeman          tfreeman at intel.digichem.net