[ale] AT&T Broadbrand and Linux

Chuck Mattern cmattern at mediaone.net
Sun Oct 8 06:47:30 EDT 2000

We have had similar problems in my neighborhood.  I've been down for days at a
time, two hour on hold time for techs support, both me and my nextdoor
neighbor down for hours at the same time then both magically back online but
M1 insisting there is no connection (no pun intended there).  And it has gone
beyond the tech issues.  Just after then name change I got a disconnect notice
from them.  I thought I had paid but was unsure. I attempted to call their
payment line with credit card in hand and ended up getting dropped after a 30
minute hold time, please note that at this time I was only trying to give them
money!  I tried again on my way to work over the cell phone since I didn't
want the kids to go with our Disney that night.  Same result, 45 minutes on
hold, ring, ring, click!  I eventually ended up taking my lunch hour to go to
a Winn Dixie and pay there.  The lady there commented that a lot of folks had
come in with disconnect notices voer the last fiew days, hmmmm...  Then came
the revalation.  When my next bill came there was a $0 balance due.  I took a
better look at all of the paperwork,  The disconnect notice was printed on the
4th of September, postmarked on the6th, delevered to my house on the 9th with
threatened disconnect on the 11th.  This in itself sucks.  But when I reviewed
the bill I found the real shock, my "missing" payment had been processed on
September 1st, three days before the slow moving threat was even printed.  I'm
not sugesting villany, I'm suggesting incometence.  For those of you in the
Tech Support field imagine how long you'd be on the job if your customers were
supported this way...

For the moment things are stable, I have not gotten any more disconnects
(threatened or unintentionally inflicted) maybe it will get better after AT&T
settles in, but I have yet to recieve a reply to six e-mails  (other than from
the auto mailer indicating that the messages did get there) complaining about
this problem,  I have sent another mail via US Postal Service, we'll see if
that brings anything.

For now I eagerly await the coming of xDSL and Bell South.

.