[ale] AT&T Broadbrand and Linux

Stephen F Nicholas syssfn at panther.Gsu.EDU
Thu Oct 5 23:02:41 EDT 2000

Chris,
I also tried Roadrunner.  I was using RH 6.1 and win98.  No problem
getting up up and running on either of the os's.  I worked great WHEN it was
up.  Over a two week period, it was down over 50% of the time (and so was
my neighbor using only 98.) Their tech support bit the big one (average
2 hrs to talk to a person).  Even though multiple peopl in my neighborhood
were having the same problems AT the same time (I was polling them when I
went down, and M1 was aware of this.) MediaOne tech refused to
acknowledge this, insisting that it was a problem on my end.  They were
requiring me to take a day off from work to wait on them to show up.

Needless to say, I kept my mindspring account and dumped Mediaone.  I
might add this was ~two weeks before the name change.  As I do work for
the Board of Regents for the University System of Ga. I couldn't afford
the downtime.

If I sound bitter, I am.  I had high hopes for this endeavor.  But their
support drove me the other way.  If you have better results, please let me
know.  I'm out of the circle for adsl, might can get idsl.

Steve

| Steve Nicholas             |                        |
| Unix System Programmer     |  A risk is not a risk  |
| Georgia State University   |  until it is taken.    |
| snicholas at gsu.edu          |                        |
| 404-651-1062               |  BBROYGBVGW            |