[ale] Palm Response Summary (OT)

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu Oct 5 13:26:29 EDT 2000

    Danny> getting a rechargable battery, I can't think of a good
    Danny> reason for getting a palm instead of a handspring.  The
    Danny> visor is pretty nice--maybe not quite as elegant as a palm
    Danny> III, but it does come in cool colors.  And last I looked,
    Danny> it was a lot cheaper.

    Danny> 	While true Handspring sez on their web page that they
    Danny> "do not support Unix or Linux".  That, and their 8MB model
    Danny> is also $249.  I'll stick to Palm.

        Handspring says that, but I'll also bet that you won't
explicitly find `We support UNIX or Linux' on any of Palm's pages.  I
just got a Visor a couple of weeks ago and it works quite well with
Linux and coldsync (http://www.ooblick.com/software/coldsync/).
Granted coldsync doesn't have all the drool-proof guis that pilot-link
has, but then again I'm not that big of a gui person.  It's also
rather easy to write your own conduits with the Palm::PDB and ColdSync
modules for perl (by the author of coldsync).

        The only problem I've had has bean that the USB chipset in my
home box (Asus P5A with the OHCI flavour of USB chips) isn't as well
supported by the Linux USB drivers.  I shelled out the $30 more for a
serial cradle for home and use the USB one at work (where I've got a
Compaq with UHCI USB chips that works perfectly well).

678 443-6239(w)       |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=