[ale] slightly ot

Fulton Green me at FultonGreen.com
Wed Oct 4 10:56:05 EDT 2000

Short answer: no.

You can, however, use the whois.arin.net service to *attempt to* see how many
addresses the ISP has allocated by making several queries with various IP
addresses of sites hosted by the service.

For example: whois 123.45.67.89 at whois.arin.net

Be aware, however, that the ARIN allocations may still be in the name of the
backbone company that provides service to the ISP.

You can also try getting the IP address of a site known to be hosted by the
ISP, then perform reverse lookups using nearby IP addys and see if they pan
out to be legitimate hosts.

And to throw more bubblegum to the fan: ARIN won't allocate any more huge IP
blocks when the sole purpose of the requestor is virtual hosting. So in the
future, in theory, a hosting service may wind up having, say, 1000+ sites
all mapping to the same IP addy. Currently, most sites will allocate a unique
"virtual IP" addy to a site.

Hope this helps.