[ale] ethereal problem solved

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon Jun 26 07:41:06 EDT 2000

A while back I posted a question regarding an problem I was having
accessing a particular site on my companies corporate intranet.  The
problem was, the browser would neither generate an error message or time
out.  I had been trying to figure this problem out with ethereal, to no
avail.  Well I figured it out and thought I'd share the resolution with
the list.  Although I don't know why this worked.  In the output of the
sniffer data there is a value that indicates the maximum segment size.
Well this got me to thinking, because there was quite a difference
between the max segment size my machine was indicating and the one the
other machine was indicating.  On a fluke, I decided to change the MTU
value.  I first tried increasing it, but no luck.  I then lowered and
that resolved my problem.  By turning on PPP debugging I've found that
the default value was 1524.  By dropping it down to 1500 my problem was
resolved.

I certainly welcome any feedback from anyone who could identify why this
problem existed a well as why this resolved it.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

Microsoft != Innovation