[ale] Microsoft .net project

sarchie at bigfoot.com sarchie at bigfoot.com
Fri Jun 23 12:59:50 EDT 2000

Chris Ricker wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, B. Keith Murphy wrote:
>
> > But, all that said, it is a good idea. And yes, Unix has done this type
> > of thing for years, but is anyone interested in putting together a open
> > source project based on XML very similar in nature to what M$ is
> > attempting to do??
>
> <snip>
>
> > I HATE not having a central location for bookmarks for one thing!! Any
> > takers?? Anyone interested in doing it??
>
> mod_roam
>
> ;-)
>
> Seriously, Unix is already there for things like bookmarks, address books,
> etc.  (via mod_roam, LDAP, etc.).
>
> Where Unix doesn't do this is in the files for end-user desktop applications
> (ignoring NFS and such, as that's really a different concept).  Part of that
> is just because Unix doesn't have end-user desktop apps.  However, the other
> problem is that Microsoft can do this because they make the OS and the apps.
> Microsoft Office is moving to XML-based formatting for .doc files and
> such to operate with the .net stuff....

That's still behind, Abiword uses XML to render documents.
abiword.com

-

It's great, but you'll still have to use IE to access it, as MIcrosoft uses some
proprietary technology such as Active X for some applications. Although, with the
onslaught of new internet appliances Microsoft thinks people will buy the devices
with Microsoft software. Therefore using IE to access these applications from
anywhere, Desktop/Workstation, PDA, cell phone, car radio, watch, etc... It just
expands the empire, a few people I talked to said they wanted to get off of NT &
98 workstations, and would like a model such as this, if they could get it on
Linux ---. They want everything, from Desktops to Servers running Linux or some
form of living unix such as: Solaris or HPUX.