[ale] Printer Server using HP JetDirect and Linksys 10/100 Print server

Luis Luna luis at btr-architects.com
Thu Jun 22 15:28:11 EDT 2000

I looked in the archives of ALE and on the HP/Linksys websites, Caldera
websites, etc.. What I would like to is set-up my COL linux box to share out
a 4MV, 4 Plus, Savin Copier, Epson 3000, HP Photo 1100, DesignJet 650c,
all connected right now to an NT server via HP Jet Direct cards on the
printers, an HP 3 port printer server and a Linksys print server. I have
Samba up and running and sharing files no problem.
Where do I find info on connecting my COL 2.3 to a printer attached to the
network via a jetdirect card using tcp/ip. In NT server I just add lpr
printing and add a port of say 192.168.x.x.:raw1 and it can connect and
share out the printer.
Do I need the printer drivers on the linux box installed? Then shared, or
can I install a generic printer and have the clients run the printer driver,
with the COL server just providing a connection and a spool directory.
I know that HP has Jetdirect Web Admin software, but it is only for Red Hat
and SuSe flavors of linux. I downloaded the program anyway and tried to
install it, no go - it complained too much and would not install.
 I know this had to be done before, no?
I mean what good would linux be if you could only share the printer attached
to the lpt1 port?
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    Luis Carlos Luna, Associate AIA
         Work: 612.332.1234