[ale] Firewall Administrative Question

Michelangelo Grigni mic at mathcs.emory.edu
Wed Jun 21 11:08:19 EDT 2000

jmills writes:
> I would like to write a set of clients and servers, each pair of which
> would would communicate using a different packet sub-type, each presenting
> to a firewall as HTTP/1.1. The actual data would consist of well-formed
> HTTP Requests and HTTP Responses. The content-type would be "text/xml" or
> "application/xml". I would like to use a set of port numbers other than
> the usual 80 and 443, so that each service could be assigned a port
> number and those clients would use that port for their default connection.

Except for the novel port numbers, many firewall admins
would not block you.  But maybe they should, depending on
the potential for mischief in your xml data!  Schneier
addresses this problem in the latest Crypto-Gram
newsletter (in the context of the SOAP proposal), see:

  http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0006.html#SOAP

Also, your email address seems garbled: "jmills at tga.com"@tga.com