[ale] dd for 'ghosting' ?

Gary Maltzen maltzen at MM.COM
Wed Jun 14 23:09:33 EDT 2000

The problem with the 'dd' solution is that the restore drive must have the same geometry as the original image drive; the partition boot sector contains drive geometry (cylinders, heads, sectors) information.

(The following *untested* idea comes to mind).

I wonder if good-old 'dump' and 'restore' would work on a VFAT partition???

You could dump to and restore from an unformatted partition (in lieu of a tape drive). IIRC, restore even works over-the-wire.

You'd have to do something special to preserve the MBR and PBR.

All you should need is something like Tom's Root/Boot floppy.