[ale] dd for 'ghosting' ?

tewkewl at mindspring.com tewkewl at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 14 18:47:46 EDT 2000

Does anyone have a solution for this?  We are trying to fight a 'ghost' licensing fee issue for each of our 4000 PC's. (You can imagine the cost for all those licenses!)

desired result: Be able to re-image a local fat32 partition from an image of that partition stored on a linux partition.  Idea so far:
Mount an nfs partition and do a dd from there.  But is dd capable of copying over a fat32 partition from a linux/nfs file system? And How would I be able to create an image of a fat 32 partition to do this with?  Would it have to be an iso?  Another idea is to have a linux partition on each machine with a stored copy of the fat32 partition.  And basically doing the same thing but removing the NFS part of it.
If we do this though, we will need a way to 'update' the image on the local linux partition when we want to make a change.

Is this even close to being feasable?  Is there a better way to do this?

-Patrick