[ale] Console Craziness

Martin Modahl martin at mercury.mis-hq.com
Mon Jun 12 09:17:51 EDT 2000

Late last night I was forced to reboot a DNS server running Linux 2.2.12
remotely. I get into the office this morning and tried to hook a keyboard
up to it and, of course, the keyboard didn't function. I rebooted the box
again with a monitor and keyboard attached to it so I could do some
console work. Now from the console whatever login/password combination I
try gives me a Login Incorrect error, the strange part is that I can still
ssh in using the same logins. I've tried everything. Caps Locks, Num
Locks, I've typed all the password letters into the Login: prompt to make
sure that the letters on the keyboard work. What could it possibly be?

Martin Modahl
mmodahl at resnet.gatech.edu