[ale] dd and cat

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 10 21:52:18 EDT 2000

dd reads and writes in 'block' sizes that you specify.  This might be
better for performance reasons, (it is usually more efficient to copy
in big blocks rather than small blocks.)  I don't know what size cat
uses.  Plus, dd will copy exactly the number of bytes you ask it to.
Cat just stops when you hit EOF.

One place where dd makes a big difference is in reading and writing to
tape. the number of bytes in each write() system call can affect how
big the blocks are that are written to tape.

-Eric.