[ale] ipchains and 2.2.16

Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 9 20:35:56 EDT 2000

On Fri, 09 Jun 2000 15:49:21 -0400, David Corbin wrote:

>I've just installed 2.2.16, and my ipchains (1.3.9) says it won't work
>with this kernel.  Is anyone else having this problem?   Freshmeat
>doesn't have a newer ipchains listed, and I can't get to the site in the
>ipchains howto.

I also just installed 2.2.16, and am using ipchains 1.3.9, but I
haven't had any problems.  I'll go along with Jared and suggest you
check your kernel configuration.

Tip: when compiling a custom kernel, keep your .config file around
afterwards(Slackware puts a copy of it at /boot/config, so I've ended
up doing the same thing).  When you upgrade the kernel, copy the old
.config to /usr/src/linux/.config, then do 'make oldconfig'.  This will
pick up your old configuration and only question you on items that are
new.  If you need to change anything after that, you can always do
'make menuconfig' or 'make xconfig' and tweak it, but at least this way
you don't have to risk misremembering the proper configuration for the
machine.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com    | The attempt to legislatively