[ale] IP Aliasing

Gary Maltzen maltzen at mm.com
Fri Jun 9 12:10:47 EDT 2000

Try this, substituting appropriate IP addresses and masks...

1) add /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:1

   DEVICE=eth0:1
   BOOTPROTO=static
   IPADDR=192.168.253.253
   NETMASK=255.255.255.0
   GATEWAY=192.168.253.1
   ONBOOT=no

2) issue the command 'ifup eth0:1' to bring the interface up
3) issue the command 'ifdown eth0:1' to take the interface down

The ifup/ifdown commands do lots of work for you

Q? If you are using a modular eth0, was that also built with ALIASing?