[ale] Kernel-rebuild loose ends

John M. Mills jmills at tga.com
Fri Jun 9 10:48:42 EDT 2000

Fulton - thanks for the comments, but they don't fall cleanly onto my
setup:

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Fulton Green wrote:

> The System.map file should appear in your /usr/src/linux build directory
> after the kernel image has been produced. Copy it to /boot/System.map-2.2.16 .
> The /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script is looking for a .rhkmvtag file. You may need
> to comment out this section of the script unless you can figure out how to
> emulate it.  You may also need to generate the modules.dep file for the
> modules subdir by doing a
>     depmod -aei -F /boot/System.map-2.2.16 2.2.16
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^---Not recognized.

I found '/usr/src/linux-<version>/System.map', copied it to
'/boot/System.map-<version>', and soft-linked that to '/boot/System.map'.
I now get clean boots on that kernel version, but I don't know how to tell
Lilo to select 'System.map-<version>' based on the kernel version I am
booting. I suppose this is a 'lilo.conf' arg, but I don't find it.

The files '/lib/modules/<version>/modules.dep' are present, but seem to
have little in common with '/boot/System.map-<version>'. The former are
dependency tables similar to one in a 'Makefile'. The latter, lists of
entry links - like the 'nm' dump of a library or object module.

I tried 'insmod' on one of my modules, and failed to find the external
entries it needed (e.e., 'print_msg'). I must need to provide more
dependency or entry information somehow, and 'insmod' didn't know where to
get it. I would rather fix this than go back and make a non-modular
kernel.

The origin of the binary file '/boot/map' also remains a mystery.

More enlightening comments welcome.

Regards
 - Mills

   John Mills