[ale] network setup problem

Jim Kinney jkinney at teller.physics.emory.edu
Thu Aug 31 21:15:49 EDT 2000

Hi all,

I have run across a problem I that has me stumped (and everyone else I've
talked to).

I setup a private lan (192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0) with a gateway machine
(eth0 192.168.0.3) connected to the outside (eth1 170.140.123.1). I setup
all the private lan boxes to use gateway 192.168.0.3 and turned on
ipchains (Rusty's 3 line firewall, no security, just NAT). I could then
ping from the private LAN to the outside world. However, I could not ping
from private to private machine. If I delete the default route, I can see
the inside machines, but not the outside.

The machines are connected with a dumb hub (no management at all, 5 ports
and blinking lights).

I "thought" the gateway was the last choice for routing packets.

These machines are running RedHat 6.2 with all the current fixes. No
Helix-gnome.

Prior to the swith-over to private lan, they all had "real" IP addresses,
talked to a dumb hub, had a gateway, could ping anyone. No firewall ($#@
school security holes!).

What am I missing?

JimK