Multi-drop PPPoE (Re: [ale] Mindspring/Earthlink DSL and linux?)

Susan Liebeskind shl at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 31 14:36:09 EDT 2000

I'm watching this discussion with interest as I currently have Mindspring
DSL and a Linux Gateway (RH 6.2, and I need to upgrade the kernel, I know)
and Roaring Penguin PPPoE.

 ---

I'd like to replace my Linux gateway box which is running on old and
failing hardware, and have thought long and hard about dumping the PC in
favor of the Linksys DSL router.  It would free up a huge amount of space
in the home office.

But...am I correct in that you CANNOT do IP masquerading through the
Linksys DSL router?  One of the boxes at home is an old Solaris box, and I
don't want the hassles of trying to find a PPPoE client for Solaris.
One of the recent postings suggested that every client connecting through
the DSL router must be running PPPoE, and that's not worth it to me.

Thanks.

Susan
Susan Liebeskind (susan.liebeskind at gtri.gatech.edu)
GTRI/ITTL/CSITD
347 Ferst St                                     Fax   404-894-9081
Atlanta, GA  30332-0832				 Phone 404-894-4266