Multi-drop PPPoE (Re: [ale] Mindspring/Earthlink DSL and linux?)

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Aug 31 10:20:21 EDT 2000

I'll make the assumption that you are willing to to leave the linux box
on. If so, you can use NAT on the linux box to serve the mac.

I also am investigating for a daughter a little box from linksys which
does the same thing at about $250 upfront. This might be a better solution
for many people (like those who don't want the challenge of writing their
own firewall scripts.)

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, John Mills wrote:

> Hello -
>
> Mindspring/Earthlink 'allows' up to 3 computers per DSL connection
> according to their web page. They also say more than one computer is
> unsupported, and don't seem willing to talk about it on the phone. How
> well do multiple computers on one modem coexist?
>
> I assume I would put in a hub at the modem, then my [two] computers would
> independently use the link. Is that correct, or would then have to
> coordinate and only one establish a link at one time? How could the two
> computers establish a link to each other, without having independently
> established their PPP links to Mindspring?
>
> One will be Linux, one is an iMac: I expect limits my options.
>
> Thanks for any comments - my favored alternative has a sign-up offer which
> expires today!
>
> TIA.
>
> Regards -
>  John Mills