[ale] WANTED: more powerful boot manager

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Thu Aug 31 09:44:14 EDT 2000

I'm building an internet appliance, and I need to make sure that it
*always* boots successfully.  So I'm imagining a boot syste something
like this:

The boot manager tries to boot off its usual partition and kernel
image.  If that fails, then it boots off a backup image.  If that
fails then it boots off its backup partition and executes some
restoration procedure, reinstalling itself on the usual partition.

This, of course, requires the boot manager to keep state--something
that LILO at least does not.

I've seen that there are other boot managers, like grub, that appear
to be a little more intelligent than LILO.  Are any othe them a
reasonable starting point for building a boot manager like I'm
describing?  Or does one already exist?

Thanks,