[ale] FW: IDE drives, adding more to a Red Hat 6.2 with 4 ides already in

Luis Luna luis at btr-architects.com
Wed Aug 30 16:13:35 EDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Luis Luna [mailto:luis at btr-architects.com]
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 1:37 PM
To: owner-ale at ale.org
Subject: IDE drives, adding more to a Red Hat 6.2 with 4 ides already in

I am looking for comments on adding more IDE drives to a box that already
has 4 IDE drives in it. I have a 4 gig hda, a 30 gig hdb, a 30 gig hdc, and
a CD-ROM as hdd on this machine. Everything works just fine and dandy. I
need to add one of the 40 gig IDE drives made by Seagate or maxtor or
whoever else makes one. I can't add one to the motherboard (maxed out
obviously) so I am wondering if there is a card (that someone has used and
are pretty sure it works under Linux) out there that I can buy and install
and add more IDE drives.
I know I can look up on the web, but would like some real life experience
(don't trust the companies and their pr machines too much).
I know I can go with scsi, but these drives will be just holding copies of a
bunch of CD-ROM based programs that will be used by 1 or 2 people once in a
while.
They won't be stressed at all.
Any info would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.