[ale] Distro Blues (was Slackware user list?)

Ray Knight - Clientlink rayk at clientlink.com
Wed Aug 23 16:04:52 EDT 2000

Wandered Inn wrote:
> Jeff Hubbs wrote:
>
> > I'm also getting fed up with Netscape's misbehavior.
> Occasionally Netscape
> > will "break" and won't even launch again until I log out and
> log back in.
> >
> > It really makes me wonder who's QAing these distro releases?
>
> Microsoft??
>

> > Think I should try SuSE/Mozilla next time?
>
> My dist migration path has been:
>
> slack->rh4.0->rh5.0->rh5.2->mandrake7.0->turbolinux 6.0->suse
> 6.4->mandrake7.1
>
> Of all these variations, Suse is the only one that provided a completely
> flawless install.  The otherside of that issue is that Suse puts stuff
> in different places and names rpms differently, so it's difficult to
> upgrade/make changes.  Someone once told me to install rpms via Yast,
> but I've yet to figure that one out.  Whatever.  Currently I'm running
> three Suse 6.4 and two Mandrake [7.0&&7.1].
>
> I recently installed Linux on two p75/16meg machines via nfs.
> TurboLinux and Mandrake both resulted in sig errors which trashed the
> install.  I've since done two suse 6.4 nfs installs and both were
> flawless.  It maybe that Mandrake and/or TurboLinux have specific memory
> req., but I couldn't locate them too easily, so I'm not sure what the
> problem was.

I have installed Debian Slink and Potato, every release of RedHat since 2.0,
every release of SuSE from 5.2 to 6.3, every release of Mandrake, TurboLinux
3.6, 4.0 and 6.0, Caldera OpenLinux 1.2, 1.3, 2.0, 2.2 and eDesktop 2.3 and
the latest Trustix release.  I have installed each of these on many
different x86 boxes from a 40 Mhz 386 to a dual processor Pentium.    I'd
have to say the most trouble-free installations were the last 2 releases of
Caldera OpenLinux.  The other distributions have had problems with video
cards, SCSI adapters and Ethernet on one or more of the systems I attempted
to install on, OpenLinux then installed flawlessy on the same hardware.
That said I run RedHat 6.2 on my server, eDesktop on desktop system and
Debian Potato on my development box (but then my development box is a Mac
Quadra 950 so I haven't much choice there).  I am still trying to get
Trustix up and running on my Web server, but I'm either going to have to
hack the install program or use different hardware as it doesn't have
support for my SCSI adapter.

Ray Knight
audilvr at speakeasy.org