[ale] scripting passwd change

Ben Phillips pynk at angband.org
Wed Aug 23 15:31:47 EDT 2000

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Eric Z. Ayers wrote:

> The version of passwd that comes with Red hat 6.2 has a little feature
> called '--stdin' that can help you script a password change.

Yes!  Is it not nifty?  Unfortunately, I'm making a program that will act as
a login shell for windows/mac users, allowing them to change the samba,
netatalk, and system passwords to the same thing in one fell swoop.  I've
got a perl script that attempts this, but the system() calls are run with
the EUID of the user, even if the perl script is setuid root.  So
unfortunately I can't use this, unless there's a way to let a user truly run
passwd as root.

                      __   _                 "I hate to advocate drugs,
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,     alcohol, violence or
pynk at post.com        |  | ()|||||||||[:::)    insanity, but they've
                     \__.-._)         '''     always worked for me."
		                                 -- Hunter S. Thompson