[ale] Oddness from gcc and configure

Joe Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 23 14:25:51 EDT 2000

GCC and egcs have been merged back into a single project. Anything
that says "egcs" on it now is probably older than any recent distro's
GCC (Slack 7.0 came with GCC-2.95.1).

After much frustration, I have given up on ever trying to install
precompiled GCC or glibc, other than when initially setting up
a machine from the distro CDs. Building them from source is
usually painless (./configure; make), and when you're done
you know you have a consistent install that will work on your
system.

-- Joe