[ale] Oddness from gcc and configure

Mike Kachline kachline at brightstar.gt.ed.net
Wed Aug 23 12:27:06 EDT 2000

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Beeland, Jason wrote:

> Just got one really strange error from a configure...
>

> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for c++... no
> checking for g++... no
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot
> create executables.
>
> Anyone know what could be making gcc not able to make executables?
<snip>
	I've seen this one before. I think it's related to the compiler
not being able to link into std libraries. Take a look at the
"config.log" which was created, and you'll get more information pointing
to why the compiler didn't work.

	From the output which you posted, it looks a lot like configure
tried to find a C++ compiler, couldn't, and then as a last ditch attempt,
tried using gcc (usually just a C compiler) to compile a C++ program. gcc
probably couldn't find all of the c++ standard libraries and stopped
(hence, offering the "cannot create executables" error.). Thus, my first
question to you would be "do you have a C++ compiler installed?" Usually,
"g++" is used for building C++ apps.

				- Mike
Michael Kachline
mailto:kachline at brightstar.gt.ed.net