[ale] Upgrading to a new Hard Disk

Ray Hiltbrand rayh at speakeasy.org
Wed Aug 23 12:00:00 EDT 2000

If you can get both drives on the IPX then you could:
(If I remember correctly there is only on disk slot inside so you will need an
 external disk case.)

	jumper 4GB as to not conflict with scsi id of 450MB
	partition 4GB disk
	dump and restore from 450 to 4GB disk partitions
	install boot block on 4GB
	shutdown
	replace 450MB with 4GB
	  (don't forget to set scsi id for 4GB same as 450MB you removed.)
	  (if you are going to use it then change jumpers on 450MB disk)
	boot up
If you have a tape drive and cdrom drive you can do it with out needing the disk
attached.  It would be a few more steps.

What OS are you running on the IPX?

	--Ray

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Ben Conrad wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I have a Sparc IPX with a ~450MB disk that is running along nicely.  I would
> like to swap out the current disk with a 4GB Seagate Barracuda.  Currently,
> I have just / for slices, keeping the slices the same on the new disk would
> be just fine with me.  Although, having a 2GB /var would be nice.
>
> How might I go about doing this?  Does anybody have pointers to any howtos'
> or any personal experience?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben.

>  Ben Conrad