[ale] current pulled by computer power supply

Bob's ALE Mail transam at cavu.com
Tue Aug 22 17:55:54 EDT 2000

> Getting a little off-topic here, but several people on this list have
> discussed X10 home-control products with Linux and now that everyone is
> rushing out to buy screw-in fluorescent bulbs, a little heads-up:

> I tried controlling a screw-in fluorescent with an X10 appliance module
> (not the lamp module) and it came on fine but when I switched it off
> there was a bright flash and the bulb died.  Thinking it was a
> coincidence, I tried again with a new bulb - same thing.  That's two
> bulbs at about $15 each.

The X10 appliance modules use a mechanical relay that is electrically
identical to an ordinary switch.  Thus, assuming your home does not have
defective voltage, you suffered two defective fluorescent bulbs.  Demand
your money back on the fluorescent tubes.  Many home electrical products
are of poor quality these days.  Some of my X10 devices still work 20 years
later!

www.x10.com still is having their Firecracker giveaway; it's controllable
from Linux with the bottlerocket software.

> That's just my $30 ...

> --bs

Bob Toxen
bob at cavu.com
http://www.cavu.com
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.       "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"
Quality Linux & UNIX security and software consulting since 1990.

Failure is not an option!
It comes bundled with all Microsoft products (in my opinion).
"Linux, a better way to go!"