[ale] current pulled by computer power supply

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Mon Aug 21 11:05:44 EDT 2000

When I worked for the DOE, space heaters in the 1500W-range on our wing had
the effect of dropping down the line voltage for an NT server to as low as
under 90VAC.  Thank goodness the APC Smart-UPS I put on that machine had a
step-up mode, because it sure needed it!

I have put screw-in fluorescents in several key fixtures throughout my
house.  Yes, they're a bit expensive (although Home Depot does carry a make
that's significantly less expensive), but my motivations are twofold:
reduce electrical consumption and reduce heat generation.

Now that the unintended consequences of the deregulation of the electric
utilities are coming home to roost, I think it's incumbent upon everyone to
do *something* to reduce their electric consumption.  The alternative is
enduring "rolling blackouts" of the sort that are already occurring in some
parts of the country.

- Jeff