Way OT: RE: [ale] current pulled by computer power supply

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Thu Aug 17 09:38:18 EDT 2000

> I read a while back that Radio Shack makes it a point not to
> hire people
> with electronic knowledge - something along the lines of "if they did,
> those people would know what was good to steal".  Whether or
> not that is
> store policy I don't know - but it has always been my
> personal experience.

I would find that hard to believe.  I mean, someone who wouldn't know that
the car stereos would be good to steal would also be unlikely to be able to
operate a cash register!

I've been a Radio Shack customer since childhood, and I just barely recall a
time when the people who worked there actually knew the proverbial thing or
two; they worked there because they liked electronics.  Once RS moved more
into selling products than components, RS started to become just another
mall job.  Geez, 20 years ago, I was joking that if I went into an RS and
said to an employee, "Excuse me, can you tell me if these capacitors are
bipolar?" I'd get a vacant gaping stare and "The...batteries...are on...the
top...shelf..."

But, oh, the creations I used to make out of their 150 (or whatever)-in-1
electronic experimenter's kits!!  One time I built a three-channel
acoustically-triggered percussion synthesizer out of two of those kits,
parts from a third, and some other stuff.  It worked for about three
minutes, then a wire came loose and I had no hope of finding which one.