[ale] Slackware user list?

Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 16 15:13:39 EDT 2000

Joe Knapka wrote:

> I've been using Slack for a long time. I've tried a couple
> of other distros (Red Hat, Debian), but I usually find their
> attempts to be helpful merely frustrating. (This isn't a
> declaration of flamewar - I just prefer to edit config
> files rather than let a tool do it for me. And I've become
> used to the way Slack lays out the config data.)

For what it's worth, I feel the same way.  When I first looked at Linux
a couple of years ago, I tried Red Hat for a couple of days, but quickly
discarded it and went with Slackware.  I've been happy with it ever
since.

I don't think this should be a flamewar issue - it's rather one of the
strengths of having multiple distros.  You can get a distribution geared
towards your own strengths and preferences, which is preferable to the
situation where one vendor puts out a bloated 'one size fits all'
product which makes no one really happy.

Ben