[ale] Kernel Panic question

Brian Dowd bdowd at dentfirst.com
Tue Aug 15 17:39:35 EDT 2000

After backing up my system, wiping the disk, reinstalling RedHat 6.2 and
then restoring everything from a backup (known good) tape I get a
"kernel panic No init found Try passing init= option to kernel"
I guess my tape restore is overwriting something important ;-)
Any ideas on how to correct this? What is the 'init'? Is it the initrd
in /etc/lilo.conf?
When I use the rescue disk from the original install it tells me that
the /boot/System.map has an incorrect kernel version.
The hard disk is vmlinux-2.2.12-20. How do I figure out what version is
on the rescue disk?