[ale] assigning ip to second interface

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Aug 15 13:21:05 EDT 2000

Joe Knapka wrote:

> Wandered Inn wrote:
> >
> > Joe Knapka wrote:
> > >
> > > What is the exact ifconfig command you are using? (For both
> > > cards, just for the heck of it.)
> >
> > Here is how it's called from the network script in /etc/rc.d/init.d:
> >
> > ifconfig eth0 192.168.255.220 broadcast 192.168.255.255 netmask
> > 255.255.255.0 up
> >
> > ifconfig eth1 "192.168.55.320 broadcast 192.168.55.255 netmask
> > 255.255.255.0 up
>
> Here's your problem. Each component of an IP address must be less than
> 256,
> since they're each 8 bits. That ".320" has got to be changed to
> something
> more reasonable.

Note my response to Cleveland's question.  Fast fingered the 230 into
320.  One of those things staring you right in the face and you ignore.
Fixed it and I'm good now.  Thanks for the assist folks.

> Er, also, there's not *really* a double-quote in the eth1 command,
> right?

remnant of the cut and paste which is the reason that this got resolved
in the beginning.  All a long I was seeing 230 and only looked a little
close when Cleveland pointed it out to me.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

Microsoft != Innovation