[ale] BellSouth ADSL Experiences

joshy joshy at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 9 17:24:31 EDT 2000

Well, i've spend hours and hours doing indepth research (okay, i just went
to google and searched on bellsouth, alcatel and 1000) and come up with
some interesting answers.

it seems that bellsouth used the cheapest modems known to man (no
surprise) and that the Alcatel 1000's are known to have a sync/no-surf
issue, very similar to what i've been experiencing.   the fix is to either
get a new ADSL modem or to have bellsouth upgrade some firmware. (it
wasn't clear if they are updating the ADSL modem's firmware or the DSLAM)

more details are available at
http://www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/2000/06/26002.htm

on the general issue of dealing with bellsouth's fast access service can
be found here:

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/sdf/h/b/hburgiss/dsl/survival/

it seems that Bellsouth is phasing out DHCP with it's longer lease times
and always on status in favor of PPP over Ethernet/ATM which 'dials up'
bellsouth instead of always being connected. (of course it's not really
dialing anything, so it may be functionally the same). bellsouth only
supports their own equipment, but they should be able to work with most
3rd party equipment (such as Linux boxes running PPPoX or Linksys
firewall/routers).

other good stuff can be found at:

http://Cable-DSL.home.att.net/
http://www.dslreports.com/

hope this helps others struggling to deal with BellSouth. I'm thinking of
switching to Mindspring, but since BS still owns the actual lines, I'm not
sure what good that will do.

- joshy