[ale] RE:

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Wed Aug 9 11:54:11 EDT 2000

Welcome, Brian!

Mine is far from a definitive answer, but I'll give it a shot.

The supplied gcc compiler is your ticket to C and C++.  There is a
Pascal-to-C source code converter called p2c.  You also have FORTRAN, Perl,
Python, Java, and probably lots more available to you.

Coding useful things in Linux will require you to understand the supplied
libraries (libc?) and graphics "hooks" (gtk?).  You can bury yourself
(literally and figuratively) in books on the subject in places as mundane as
Barnes & Noble and you will probably have to in order to really get
anywhere.

- Jeff