[ale] BellSouth ADSL free (USB?) modem offer

Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 7 23:32:07 EDT 2000

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 13:15:49 -0700, Fulton Green wrote:

>2) Even if there's no official support, will the USB modem (which is one piece
>that the "free modem / free installation" offer hinges on) work under Linux,
>even if it's with closed-source drivers? Or does anyone even know what the
>make/model of the USB modem is?

Do they really insist on giving you a USB modem?  If so, I'd suggest
seeing if you can get your ADSL instead from Mindspring.  I got a "free
modem/free installation" deal from Mindspring back in May (which from
the Mindspring home page appears to still be in force).  I was given
the chance to tell them what I wanted and asked for an external,
NIC-connected modem (and got an Alcatel).  I didn't have to set up a
sacrificial Windows system for the tech to connect to.  In fact, he
ended up using his Windows laptop to verify the connection, and then
handed things over to me.

It probably didn't hurt that he could tell I was clued (he made
comments that it was nice to deal with someone who knew what he was
doing), and that my having the gateway machine in the basement meant
that the ADSL cable could be laid without a lot of concern for looks.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com    | The attempt to legislatively
http://oloryn.home.mindspring.com/   | micromanage equality results, at