[ale] Plz Help root to decrypt a user PW

Jim Kinney jkinney at teller.physics.emory.edu
Wed Oct 27 13:55:18 EDT 1999

Password decryption is a topic that is pretty much taboo on the lists that
deal with real Linux system administration. Usually discussion like this
are found on sites that have things called 'rootkits'. The passwords are
encrypted for a reason. Even the root user can't unencrypt the password.
It can't be done. If you have root access, you can change the password for
any user. Tell them what you changed it to and let them change it to
whatever they want. Don't waste your time, and ours, asking for help to do
something that

a: Can't be done
b: We don't want to be possible to be done.

I users can't remember their passwords, they probably don't need access to
a unix machine. Give them a Mac and smile and tell them to be happy.

JimK