[ale] RH 6.1 and X server software

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 27 07:10:05 EDT 1999

cfowler writes:
 > I'm using both Exceed and Xwin32 to do a X direct connect to
 > a frehsly install RH 6.1 box.  Exceed gives me no error message and Xwin32 states host is not willing to manage.
 > I'm runng KDM on the RH box.  Do I need to turn something on on the RH 6.1 to get it to listen to X requests on the network?    This machine also has 2 Nic's and running IP masqurade.  Maybe I need to do something in ipchains?
 >
 > When using another linux machine and doing
 >
 > X -query 192.168.1.254 I get:
 >
 > XDMCP Fatal Error: Manager Unwilling Host unwilling
 >
 > How can I fix this?
 >

 > Thanks,
 > Chris

Chris,

Check out the man page for xdm.  I don't know if kdm has a man page or
not, but my understanding was that it was a drop in replacement for
xdm.

(kdm help page)
1. Introduction

The KDE Display Manager is a ``drop-in'' replacement for xdm, the X
Display Manager and a little utility, kdmdesktop to draw nice
backgrounds. Kdm is superior to xdm in several ways:

Kdm supports session arguments in a userfriendly way (xdm doesn't tell
the user, which args it might generate).

Kdm has an optional ``shutdown''-button (much like NT's login box).

Kdm has an optional graphical view of users on the system (idea stolen
from IRIX' login box).

Kdm looks way better than xdm ;-)

(excerpt from xdm man page)

XDMCP ACCESS CONTROL
       The  database file specified by the DisplayManager.access-
       File provides information which xdm uses to control access
       from  displays  requesting  XDMCP service.  This file con-
       tains three types of entries:  entries which  control  the
       response  to  Direct  and Broadcast queries, entries which
       control the response to Indirect queries, and macro  defi-
       nitions.

       The  format of the Direct entries is simple, either a host
       name or a pattern, which is distinguished from a host name
       by  the  inclusion  of  one  or  more meta characters (`*'
       matches any sequence of 0  or  more  characters,  and  `?'
       matches  any  single character) which are compared against
       the host name of the display device.  If the  entry  is  a
       host   name,   all  comparisons  are  done  using  network
       addresses, so any name which converts to the correct  net-
       work  address  may  be used.  For patterns, only canonical
       host names are used in the comparison, so ensure that  you
       do  not attempt to match aliases.  Preceding either a host
       name or a pattern with a `!' character causes hosts  which
       match that entry to be excluded.

       To  only  respond to Direct queries for a host or pattern,
       it can be followed by the  optional  ``NOBROADCAST''  key-
       word.   This  can  be  used  to prevent an xdm server from
       appearing on menus based on Broadcast queries.

       An Indirect entry also contains a host  name  or  pattern,
       but  follows  it  with  a  list of host names or macros to
       which indirect queries should be sent.

       A macro definition contains a macro name  and  a  list  of
       host names and other macros that the macro expands to.  To
       distinguish macros from hostnames, macro names start  with
       a `%' character.  Macros may be nested.

       Indirect  entries may also specify to have xdm run chooser
       to offer a menu of hosts to connect to.  See  the  section
       Chooser.

       When  checking  access for a particular display host, each
       entry is scanned in turn  and  the  first  matching  entry
       determines the response.  Direct and Broadcast entries are
       ignored when scanning for  an  Indirect  entry  and  vice-
       versa.

       Blank  lines  are  ignored,  `#'  is  treated as a comment
       delimiter causing the rest of that line to be ignored, and
       `\newline'  causes  the  newline  to  be ignored, allowing
       indirect host lists to span multiple lines.

       Here is an example Xaccess file:

       #
       # Xaccess - XDMCP access control file
       #

       #
       # Direct/Broadcast query entries
       #

       !xtra.lcs.mit.edu   # disallow direct/broadcast service for xtra
       bambi.ogi.edu       # allow access from this particular display
       *.lcs.mit.edu       # allow access from any display in LCS

       *.deshaw.com        NOBROADCAST         # allow only direct access
       *.gw.com                                # allow direct and broadcast

       #
       # Indirect query entries
       #

       %HOSTS              expo.lcs.mit.edu xenon.lcs.mit.edu \
                           excess.lcs.mit.edu kanga.lcs.mit.edu

       extract.lcs.mit.edu xenon.lcs.mit.edu   #force extract to contact xenon
       !xtra.lcs.mit.edu   dummy               #disallow indirect access
       *.lcs.mit.edu       %HOSTS              #all others get to choose