[ale] weird pppd

Prasanna Subash Psubash at manh.com
Mon Oct 25 16:19:30 EDT 1999

I am running Suse 6.2 and I use wvdial to dialup and connect to the
internet. I use an external modem. wvdial starts the ppp daemon.

Sometimes

 ping www.ale.org

returns the error "unknown host". I really dont understand why as it is
inconsistent. I am not able to run netscape also. I have my nameservers
configured in the resolv.conf file. I have noauth in my script file.

One sure way of solving this problem seems to be rebooting to windows and
dialing up to the service provider( mindspring ), Rebooting back to Linux
and running wvdial again.

Why does this happen ?

Prasanna Subash
Manhattan Associates, Inc