[ale] Video Capture under Linux

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sun Oct 24 17:10:16 EDT 1999

Benjamin Scherrey wrote:

> OK - I just got a really cool Sony TRV310 Digital 8 Camcorder. This
> has has an absolutely great picture with RCA output plugs and and
> "i.LINK" (IEEE 1394-1995) digital output jack as well. What kind of
> digital capture hardware/software is there available that has support
> for Linux? I'd like something that can create MPEG high-quality
> digital video that I can store to disk.
>
> Does linux have support for this kinda thing yet? Appreciate any
> pointers!

I guess the key here is digital.  I don't know enough about video to
suggest anything, but have you checked out the video4linux web pages?
I've got a cheap capture card that I've connected my old camcorder, and
captured stills and avi formated video.  It handles sound as well.
There's more work going on with video4linux II, that I've not followed
at all.

Here are the links to the video4linux and video4linux2 pages:

http://roadrunner.swansea.uk.linux.org/v4l.shtml
http://millennium.diads.com/bdirks/v4l2.htm

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl