[ale] Red Hat help for Slackware ideologue

Jim Kinney jkinney at teller.physics.emory.edu
Wed Oct 20 14:34:55 EDT 1999

There are 2 methods in Redhat that will do this. The
soon-to-be-standard-GUI method is to startup linuxconf (as root) and go to
networking->client tasks->Basic Host Information->Adaptor n
and select "Dhcp" or "Bootp" as needed.

The second method uses the control-panel. As root start it with
control-panel &

computers) select the "interfaces" tab, double click on the interface of
choice. A new window pops up for editing the interface stuff. The
"Interface Configuration Protocol" has choices of none, bootp, dhcp. None
is for a static address.

The third method is to edit the /etc/sysconfig/network file:

NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4="no"
HOSTNAME="mybox.nodomain.net"
ADDRESS=""
NETMASK=""
GATEWAY=""
GATEWAYDEV="eth0"

This will (I think) set the eth0 interface to use dhcp after some
appropriate editing in /etc/dhcp*.conf files (I'm a little fuzzy on this
since I rarely tweak this stuff manually)