[ale] What is this process?

Keith Hopkins hne at inetnow.net
Sat Oct 16 23:53:57 EDT 1999

This occurs when a process is set in your /etc/inittab to respawn
(restart itself when finished), but the process dies (and respawns)
faster than the system can sanely handle.  This is usually caused by:
1) a typo in inittab (mis-spelling the program's path/name)
2) no execute permissions on the program being called
3) file access violation on some file used by the program
4) out of disk space somewhere (/tmp, /var, home?)
5) account that you are su'ing to has some problem (double check 2-4 as
that user)