[ale] Telnet for Root

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Mon Oct 11 10:57:11 EDT 1999

Malcolm Silberman wrote:

> Any idea why I can't trelnet into my server as root. Shadow passwords
> are on. I can telnet as any other user. Thiught it may be the client
> (standard win98 telnet application), but then why can I access through
> my other users. Sounds like I am doing something stupid!

"This is a feature meant to protect you. Malicious users
must know a valid user password, as well as the root password
in order to get into the system and do anything as root.
Login as a user, then use the su command to become root.
Better still, use the ssh command (if installed) which
encrypts your session to prevent anyone from seeing the
root password."

Hope this helps,

-- Joe Knapka