[ale] i really need some help

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Oct 11 00:19:39 EDT 1999

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999 jj at spiderentertainment.com wrote:

> I really need some help with this, If you have read my previous
> messages("Kernel message") you know where I am at.
> If not this is what is happening:
> The server has been running fine for a long time, only recently I have
> been getting some really
> strange kernel messages.
>
> The message below is quite different from the previous one, this one has
> to do with load_elf_interp ?
> What is it that it is trying to do ?

Take a look at /usr/src/linux/REPORTING-BUGS and
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/oops-tracing.txt.  They cover how to decode
that oops you've got and then send it w/ enough relevant info to the people
who can figure out what it means.

> My logs are spammed with this message. Before it was about SYN_FLOOD, now
> about elf?

When you're being syn-flooded, you need to do a tcpdump to see what's going
on.  It might be that you're actually being flooded (easiest way to tell is
if the source IPs all are different, then it's usually a safe bet that
there's some bored kid w/ a script at the other end ;-), or it might just be
that the particular network usage pattern at the time is triggering the
SYN_FLOOD response.

later,
chris

--